Upcoming Alabama Archaeological Society Events (LAST UPDATED 28Nov2017):
Alabama Archaeological Society, 2018 Winter Meeting - Jacksonville State University, January 19-20, 2018. Reception hosted by the Coosa Valley Chapter to be held Friday night (Jan 19th), with presentations Saturday morning (Jan 20th), followed by site tours in the afternoon. As always, the Winter Meeting will feature a silent book auction, which this year will feature a large selection from the personal library of Dr. Harry Holstein. Be sure to attend!
CHECK BACK SOON FOR MORE INFORMATION, OR VISIT THE LOCAL CHAPTERS PAGE FOR REGIONAL MEETING TIMES/PLACES.
Upcoming Events around the State:
- Guided Tour of the Bottle Creek Indian Mounds - December 2 and 16, 2017. Come join a tour of the Bottle Creek Mounds guided by Dr. Greg Waselkov of the University of South Alabama. Located deep in the heart of the Mobile-Tensaw Delta, these mounds represent one of the largest Mississippian Period mound groups in the Southeast, and are only accessible via boat. Transportation and arrangements courtesy of Blakely State Park - the Delta Explorer will depart from Lower Bryant’s Landing at 9:30am (sharp). Adults - $35/person. Children (ages 6-12) - $17/child. Please call 251-626-0798 to make reservations.
- Archaeology at Old St. Stephens - Volunteer Opportunity. Final Dig of 2017 will take place on December16, 2017 (weather permitting). For more information, or to schedule group tours (12 or more) of the site, please contact George Shorter (gshorter43 - at - gmail.com)
- 6th Annual Alabama Trust for Historic Preservation, Preservation Roundtable & Luncheon. Alabama Department of Archives and History, January 18, 2018. For more information, please visit: www.athp.org
Regional and National Archaeology Meetings:
- Society for Historical Archaeology, Annual Meeting: January 4-8, 2018, New Orleans, LA.
- Society for American Archaeology, Annual Meeting: April 11-15, 2018, Washington D.C.
- Florida Anthropological Association Meeting: May 11-13, 2018, St Petersburg, FL.
- Southeastern Archaeological Conference, Annual Meeting: November 14-18, 2018, Augusta, GA.
To submit events for inclusion on this page, please contact the Web Editor. To be eligible for consideration, events must be directly related to Alabama archaeology and/or history, or of regional archaeological interest.