AAS Annual Winter Meeting
January 18, 2020 in Gulf Shores, AL
The 65th Annual Winter Meeting of the Alabama Archaeological Society will take place on Saturday, January 18, at the Gulf Shores Cultural Center Auditorium (19470 Oak Road West [Baldwin County Road 6]) in Gulf Shores, Alabama. Registration begins at 8:00 am, with modest fees collected to cover meeting costs: $4 for members, $5 for non-members, $12 for member families of 3 or more, and $15 for non-member families of 3 or more. Speakers will include Greg Waselkov discussing the 6th-century canoe canal across the Fort Morgan peninsula; Steven Meredith and Ashley Dumas will speak on the new search for Mabila; John Worth will provide an overview of excavations at the 16th-century Luna settlement; Eric Sipes and Linda Derry will update members on the Cahawba Statehouse project; and Joseph Grinnan will offer a report on the discovery of the slaving ship Clotilda. A boxed lunch option will be available, with money collected at time of registration. Other meeting highlights will be a silent book auction of donated books and other items, a membership meeting, and plenty of time for socializing. The annual winter meeting will conclude with a field trip to the ancient canoe canal between 1:30 to 3:00 pm.
A block of 20 rooms for the evening of January 17 has been reserved for attendees at Staybridge Suites (adjacent to the meeting venue at 3947 Gulf Shores Pkwy, Gulf Shores, AL). For the special meeting rate of $79 for a regular room, call 251-975-1030 and mention the Alabama Archaeological Society. Rooms must be reserved before December 17 to receive the special rate.
A reception for meeting attendees will be held Friday (Jan. 17) evening at 7 pm at the Staybridge Suites hotel. For planning purposes, please let AAS Vice President T.R. Henderson know by email at firstname.lastname@example.org if you will be attending the reception.
Everyone is welcome to attend the AAS annual winter meeting; see you there!
CHECK BACK SOON FOR MORE INFORMATION, OR VISIT THE LOCAL CHAPTERS PAGE FOR REGIONAL MEETING TIMES/PLACES.
Upcoming Events around the State:
- November 15 - 6:00 pm - Lecture on the Bottle Creek Mounds, Wehle Center at Blakely State Park by Dr. Ian Brown. (www.blakelypark.com/Things-to-Do/Events).
- November 24 - Holidays at the Fort - Fort Morgan, Gulf Shores, AL. (http://www.fort-morgan.org/)
- December 1 - A Plantation Christmas - Belle Mont Mansion, Tuscumbia, AL. (https://ahc.alabama.gov)
- December 7 - Bottle Creek Mounds Tour
- December 7 - Happy Birthday, Alabama - Old Cahawba, Orrville, AL. (https://cahawba.com/)
- December 8 - Christmas Celebration - Pond Spring, the General Joe Wheeler Home, Hillsboro, AL. (ahc.alabama.gov)
- December 15 - Christmas Luncheon - Fendall Hall, Eufaula, AL (ahc.alabama.gov)
More opportunities to learn about Alabama History and archaeology in October can be found at the following links:
Regional and National Archaeology Meetings:
- Southeastern Archaeological Conference, Annual Meeting: November 6-9, 2019, Jackson, MS.
- Society for Historical Archaeology, Annual Meeting, January 8-11, 2020, Boston, MA.
- Society for American Archaeology, Annual Meeting, April 22-26, 2020 in Austin, Texas. Visit saa.org/annual-meeting for more details.
To submit events for inclusion on this page, please contact the web editor at email@example.com.
**To be eligible for consideration, events must be directly related to Alabama archaeology and/or history, or of regional archaeological interest.