Upcoming Alabama Archaeological Society Events (LAST UPDATED 27Sept2017):
Free Artifact Identification Day at Pioneer Park, Loachapoka (Lee County), October 14th, 9am-Noon - hosted by the East Alabama Chapter and the Lee County Historical Society. Bring your artifacts for identification by professional archaeologists! Please note that the archaeologists will only discuss the scientific context and approximate age of your items. The Alabama Archaeological Society does not provide cash value appraisals of artifacts.
International Archaeology Day Festival, October 21, 1-4pm. Lowe Mill, 2211 Seminole Drive SW, Huntsville, Alabama. Come meet AAS President, Ben Hoksbergen at this event sponsored by the Archaeological Institute of America.
Alabama Archaeological Society, 2018 Winter Meeting - Date to be determined at next BOD meeting.
CHECK BACK SOON FOR MORE INFORMATION, OR VISIT THE LOCAL CHAPTERS PAGE FOR REGIONAL MEETING TIMES/PLACES.
Upcoming Events around the State:
- Moundville Native American Festival, Oct. 4-7, 2017. Moundville Archaeological Park.
- Tour to the French Colonial Old Mobile Archaeological Site and LaPointe-Krebs House: The Center for French Colonial Studies is holding their annual meeting in Mobile, Alabama on October 6-8. The first event, a bus tour to the Old Mobile archaeological site in Axis, AL, and the LaPointe-Krebs House and Museum in Pascagoula on Friday, October 6, is open to the public on a first-come, first-served basis. There are currently 15 seats still available. This all day tour, which will be led by Dr. Greg Waselkov, who directed archaeological investigations at both of these French colonial sites, will depart at 9 am from Hampton Inn & Suites-Providence Park and will return there by 5 pm. Lunch will be provided at the University of South Alabama’s Archaeology Museum. Cost of the tour is $35. Register soon, before all the seats are filled, at: http://frenchcolonialstudies.org/annual-meeting/
- Center for French Colonial Studies, Annual Meeting, October 6-8, 2017. Hampton Inn & Suites-Providence Park in Mobile, Alabama.
- St. Stephens Celebration! October 7, 2017, St Stephens.
- Life of the Enslaved at Arcadia Mill, a lecture by Adrianne Sams Walker, October 9, 2017. University of South Alabama Archaeology Museum.
- Old St. Stephens, Alabama’s First State Capital: The Mother of Mobile. Lecture by George Shorter, October 19, 2017. University of South Alabama Archaeology Museum.
- Free Artifact Identification - Pioneer Day, Grove Hill, Alabama (Clarke County), October 28th (9am-2pm). Sponsored by the University of West Alabama, and Panamerican Consultants, Inc.
- Summer 2017 Discoveries at the Luna Settlement Site, Lecture by Christina Bolte (University of West Florida), November 2, 2017. University of South Alabama Archaeology Museum.
- Alabama Frontier Days, Fort Toulouse/Fort Jackson - Featuring the 300th Anniversary of Fort Toulouse Celebration!, Nov. 1-4, 2017. Wetumpka Alabama.
Regional and National Archaeology Meetings:
- Society for Georgia Archaeology, Fall Meeting: October 14, 2017, Gwinnett Techical College, Lawrenceville, Georgia.
- Midwest Archaeological Conference, Annual Meeting: Oct 19-21, 2017, Indianapolis, Indiana.
- Southeastern Archaeological Conference, Annual Meeting: Nov 8-11, 2017, Tulsa, OK.
- Society for Historical Archaeology, Annual Meeting: January 4-8, 2018, New Orleans, LA.
- Florida Anthropological Association Meeting: May 11-13, 2018, St Petersburg, FL.
To submit events for possible inclusion on this page, please contact the Web Editor. To be eligible for consideration, events must be directly related to Alabama archaeology and/or history, or of regional archaeological interest.